Friday, July 19, 2013

How do you like your impala?

List of questions I never thought I'd be asked:

1.) How do you like your impala?

End of list.

Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration...I'm sure there are other things I could add. But I can now say that I've digested some of a small African antelope. Definitely not kidding when I say each day is a new experience!

When I come home from Mercy, my pants usually covered in chalk and red dirt, I can't help but think how incredibly grateful I am to be here and to be spending my days alongside so many wonderful friends. The kids are so welcoming and willing to learn, whether it's mathematics or crazy crafts. I love just listening to them, whether it's over a lunch of rice or nshima or during prayer time when they tell me what's worrying them and what they are excited about. And it's so much fun to get to know the other teachers; one of my best friends here in Zambia is a co-teacher at Mercy and during lunch today we spent almost an hour listening to music from all over (and learning a few sweet moves from the kids...I promise I'll never reach their level of awesomeness). 

Today I spent some time with some Zambian drummers who taught me a few songs and drum beats. These are two absolutely incredible guys; they've been doing AIDS education in Zambia for over 25 years, and they're in the planning stages of a new project focused on environmental sustainability and food security for a group of women suffering from HIV. Environmental issues are actually a hugely significant problem in Zambia; since almost all cooking is done over a fire deforestation is climbing at an acutely dangerous rate. I hope to visit the site of their new project this weekend, so I may have more to share with you then! Thank you for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I love the picture! And I didn't know impalas were actually vegetables. You learn something new every day. :-)

    Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually ate antelope? I thought the headline meant you were driving an Impala in Africa. Now I know where the car got its name!! You are doing so many wonderful things and making a difference in all those lives. I am so proud of you!!
    Love, Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you so much, Aunt Susie!!! Truthfully the work I'm doing is very small, but it is a gift that the people are welcoming me here to partner with them. And yes...I did have a bite...I probably couldn't tell you much about the taste because all I could think about was Bambi!! Hahaha :)

      Delete